I recently picked up ‘Holding Up The Universe’ by Jennifer Niven so I thought I’d give it a read. I have also read one of Nivens others books and really enjoyed it; it was ‘All the Bright Places’. Which was haunting and left me eager for more of the authors books.
“I want you to know I’m rooting for you.’ Sometimes we need to hear that, even from a stranger.”
‘Holding up the Universe’ by Jennifer Niven is a young adult novel, following two different characters, Libby Strout – the biggest teen in America, and Jack – the cool guy that everybody loves. Its a story about bravery, overcoming fear and love.
There are many things I loved about this book and here they are:
- Admirable, strong, brave characters that inspire you to be brave and embrace yourself. I can honestly say that Libby’s courage to ‘get out and get on’ has truly inspired me. ‘If Libby can do ‘so so’ then I can do this’.
“I may lose weight. I may not. But why should what I weigh affect other people? I mean, unless I’m sitting on them, who cares?”
- Thank the universe (Or just Jennifer Niven) for Libby Strout because she is strong witty and a little crazy. All the things that make a lead character so likable.
- Jen made the popular guy and the outsider girl narrative so enjoyable and she managed to make it brilliant without it being a cliche.
- She portrayed these two vastly different characters and connected them to one event which is the center of the plot.
- Both Libby and Jack have chapters that are narrated by them, this gives the reader a complete insider to their thoughts/ mind/ perspectives.
- Niven plays with time without making it messy or confusing. The story follows through thus, making it a thoroughly enjoyably read.
- Niven also explores identity and sexuality in this book, she does it in a way that is so clever and natural.
- Libby is apologetically herself and that is really something beautiful to read because she is over weight, and she knows that. On the other hand she knows she is also beautiful.
Fat is not synonymous of ugly.
There wasn’t much I disliked about the book if I am being honest (which I’m told I mostly am).However I was left craving for more at the end. One more chapter..?
I would completely recommend this book if you like a YA story with a bit of means girls and little love story.
That is all for today, see you soon!